Friday, July 4, 2008

After Trip Thoughts

My Arbor Terrace Housemates...
The last time we slept under one roof was back in june 2004 in Silicon Valley.
.
.
.
Even though this trip was quite short, it was very fun and memorable, mainly because of the people. I could not remember the last time when I laughed so intensely for so many days.
On the evening when I was back, I felt quite sad - suffering from post-trip withdrawal symptoms. I felt I was alive, but I was going back to the rat-race.
I felt sad because I knew that such a good trip might not happen again in the future.
RF is going to the Bay Area, and everybody is going to be very busy with career, marriage and children eventually.
.
.
.
On a deeper level, I spent 1 year with these friends back in Silicon Valley.
They reminded me of those days in the bay area.
I kinda missed those days (challenging yet rewarding), especially experiencing life with this group of special friends
.
.
.
Then, i remember one of my good friends' slogan
"Don't Cry When It Is Over
Smile That It Happened"
.
.
.
Thank You for walking with me for this part of my life.
.
.
.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Found this bug on my filthy trousers when i soaked it in water.

This bug was living in my trousers in my backpack for the past 2-3 days. It survived the coldness in on the plane's baggage compartment. It survived when I soaked my trousers in water.

.

.

.

I respect its will to survive.

In the end, I released it back to nature.

.

.

.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am going to sound really really stupid.

But I am saying bye to my first backpack - it has been with me since 2000. It was with me during my young adulthood, and had seen quite abit of the world.

In fact, I felt abit sad. It was not a good backpack, but I'll miss it just be'cos it was part of my life.

This is life.

There is always time to bid farewell

as life is impermanent.

.

.

.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One of the moments that I enjoyed was the trekking in the rain during the descend.

Raining made the descend tougher and slower. It was supposedly an obstacle, yet, I found it beautiful. Yes, it was more slippery, but the rain brought out the beauty of tropical rainforest.

.

.

When I brought down my poncho hook and looked at the misty canopy, it was a refreshing view.

I was so thankful that I was alive. =)

.

.

There is always another perspective to view adversity

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Boon, Chandra, Val, Jon, PY, XR, TC & RF @ the top of Mt Kinabalu

.

.

.
Something that would stick to me for a long time was my respect for the three ladies - Val, XR & PY. I saw their strength, determination and stubborness.

I respect them not because they were extremely fit.

I respect them because they were able to overcome physical challenges.

There were moments when I could see that they were totally exhausted and when every step was a pain. They did not whine or complain (Or Rather, I would say that they did not whine or complain much). They just moved forward and took a step at a time.

Example: PY's 2 toe nails were coming-off, yet, she took a step at a time. Val slightly twisted her ankle (that explains why she was "leading" the pack). XR was totally gone while she was ascending to the summit, but she still pushed herself.

RESPECT!!!

I saw qualities of my friends which made them successful in their own respective fields.

Let's remember this lesson and do not give up so easily.

This is an attitude and a way of life.

Lastly, thank you for the trip! =)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You should try to crave an alternative career as some inspiration or motivational guru. If you want more alternative experience, come to Greece and visit me. I recommend you to go to Mount Atos and spend a week free high in the forest away from all civilisation, with the Orthodox priests for company ONLY. No girls allowed on the autonomous region. How?